Author Topic: Locate Me - Edition 010  (Read 2161 times)

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Locate Me - Edition 010
« on: November 18, 2011, 08:42:57 PM »
It's the "Locate this Descent Pic Game"  Edition 010

Let's see who can identify:
What Descent 3 single player Level this is a pic of?
Where in that level the player is at (describe as best you can)?
Extra bonus:  Point out something unique about the level or the location

Can you correctly identify this location?

The score stands at:
IHateHackers = 2
Kaiaatsel = 3
NUMBERZero = 4
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: Locate Me - Edition 010
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 09:12:15 PM »
The texture scheme looks like level 15 or level 11 (more like level 11, with the fans), but I don't think I've ever seen this area.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 09:32:03 PM »
That is Level 15.  Looking into the weapons store/cache/armoury next to the generators control.

When you find the room that has the switch combination control for activating/deactivating the bot generators, to the right of that room is this small room loaded with the goodies you see here ... except that you can't get to them (they're behind a forcefield) ... until you hit the switch combination that deactivates the bot generators.  At that point the forcefield goes down and you're granted access to this room.

Naturally, having the bot generators shut down greatly decreases the difficulty of this level.

Note:  While the switch combination shuts down the bot generators in the mine/complex, it does NOT shut down the bot generators within Dravis' sanctuary/retreat/whatever.  At least one (or is it two?) bot generators are still active in that section.

This level is unique not just for having LOTs of bot generators, but because in this level you go up against a Black Pyro (that's billed as being 'yourself'), you have the chance to find a hidden/lost 'fuse' that is the missing link to re-activating ALL of the energy centers in the mine, but you get to use the "ball" that you've used previously in other levels but this time as an explosive mining charge to blow out a rock blocked wall.  Lastly, it's the only level in the standard mission set where you go up against the Hellion Assault Mech.

There is probably other additional unique things about that level, but there is so much to that level (lots of passages) you could spend all day talking about it.

Too bad they didn't get to use in this level the stuff they hint to in the Descent 3 manual (stuff from the ceiling and other possibilities).  They were getting rushed to put Descent 3 out the door by that time.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 10:09:24 PM »
Hoo hoooo! Yes! TechPro blew it right out of the water! Well done!
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 05:34:09 AM »
I've never found those switches...

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 11:24:24 PM »
I found them once and only once, on my first playthrough involving heavy use of cheats.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 12:16:32 AM »
Enter through main entrance. Maintain current heading. Slide down to bottom. Turn right 90 degrees. Follow cave. Go through door until you encounter room with mat cen. Head right through door. Watch out for Flack, Hunter, Squid and Thresher Miniboss. In room with energy center rings, a secret door is behind the rings. Open it. There's the switches.

Combination (NUMERICAL order, COUNTER clockwise): 35614

7:30 switches
Descent 3 Level 15 Part 1

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets