Author Topic: Locate Me - Edition 008  (Read 5032 times)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Locate Me - Edition 008
« on: November 14, 2011, 08:27:44 PM »
It's the "Locate this Descent Pic Game"  Edition 008

Let's see who can identify:
  • What Descent 3 single player Level this is a pic of?
  • Where in that level the player is at (describe as best you can)?
  • Extra bonus:  Point out something unique about the level or the location

Can you correctly identify this location?

The score stands at:
  • IHateHackers = 2
  • Kaiaatsel = 2
  • NUMBERZero = 3

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Re: Locate Me - Edition 008
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 09:13:24 PM »
*DELETED!!!*
EDIT: Darn it! It wasn't the full hour that I was supposed to wait because the PD clock is off. I suspect it has to do with Arizona not having a daylights savings change or it is just plain wrong on my end. But hurry, THE CLOCK IS TICKING!!!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 09:18:02 PM by NUMBERZero »
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 09:47:40 PM »
The end of level 12.

Interesting fact -- this is one of only two official Descent levels with (arguably) multiple bossfights.  I think it was meant to be the equivalent to the "keyholder" mechanic in D1 level 20 and D2 levels 10, 17, and 21.  This is the only level with multiple bossfights and also a boss at the end though.

Offline Sapphirus

• Gold
  • The Aura is with me!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 09:50:35 PM »
EDIT: CRAP!  Kaiaatsel beaten me to a heart beat.  I'm a bit slow am I?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 09:52:26 PM by Sapphire Wolf »
Please respect my social media privacy (facebook, steam, twitter)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 10:35:51 PM »
Hmmm...

Kaiaatsel, yes that's at the end of level 12... Do you think you can describe a little more detail of where specifically at the end this is?

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 11:33:13 PM »
-Level 12
-Skipping this one for Kaia
-A lot of people miss the fact that you need to shoot at the yellow and black stripes at the beginning of the level to release the tractor beams. They are covered by a forcefield which will bounce your shots back to the generators. People would use guideds for this part if they didn't know that you could shoot those. Honestly it wasn't very obvious.

The Stinger mini boss can be defeated easily by launching a Mega Missile and then running into the room at the same time so that the bot gets killed during the cutscene. Oh yeah, and it's funny after you leave his arena and are officially in the next area. To the left are 3 Gunslingers and a few squids. Back up enough and launch one impact mortar. You get to see an amazing explosion as about 6 bots blow apart! There are also repair bays in this section of the level. You need to flip two switches that deactivates them and reactivates them. You can then bump into the weird bulbus thing with spikes sticking out of it which will repair you as long as you have below 100 shields. First, you have to take care of the threshers, so those'll bring you down to below 100 anyway. If you decided to destroy the Threshers before you deactivated the repair modules, then it and the unit blows up. You can shoot the thresher with a flare and that blows them up too.

The Thresher mini boss is the absolute easiest bot IN THE ENTIRE GAME! I am not kidding you. All you have to do is go into his arena and fire flares ABOVE him. He will go "SHIT! INCOMING!" and will slide down into the acid pit that he is hovering over. Just keep firing flares ABOVE him and he will kill himself. LOLOLOL

The Gunslinger mini boss is also easy. Since he waits for you to shoot first, stick a Mega in his ear.

The Two Tail Bot mini bosses are a little more difficult, but an easy way to get off some major early damage is by charging and firing your fusion at him at the right angle so it passes through him once, bounces off the forcefield behind him, then passes through him again. When you take out both of them, you can obviously go into the secret area, collect the data card, yadda yadda yadda. There are also two repair modules in there and can repair just like in the Thresher area.

The Four mini bosses at once is also terribly easy. Just get them to piss each other off and then go to the fridge to get a drink. Or you can lob a couple of impact mortars into the center of them, then fire a BS to mop them up.

And then The Dragon. The Dragon is mysteriously labeled as a flyer type robot in the Descent 3 guidebook. Additionally, the guidebook also says that it has "homing chains" that it can launch at your ship to steal weapons. It can also latch onto your ship entirely so that it can eat you. Also, it says to lob an impact mortar into the triangular "butt hole" in its... butt... so that everything pretty much explodes and all that you are left with is its thorax. That's a lie! Instead, you get a Black Shark and a napalm rocket shoved into your face! AND! On top of that, the darn thing is an ant. It does not look like a dragon at all. Son, I am disappoint.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 07:15:15 AM »
I wonder if it'd be possible to mod a Dragon bot that matches that description in the manual in D3.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 08:24:21 AM »
The Thresher mini boss is the absolute easiest bot IN THE ENTIRE GAME! I am not kidding you. All you have to do is go into his arena and fire flares ABOVE him. He will go "SHIT! INCOMING!" and will slide down into the acid pit that he is hovering over. Just keep firing flares ABOVE him and he will kill himself. LOLOLOL
Ok, that just sounds hilarious.  I'll have to try that. ;D

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 01:06:19 PM »
Wait, you mean there are unimplemented features in Descent 3? ::)

There's a lot of those. :P

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 08:04:30 PM »
Ok, that just sounds hilarious.  I'll have to try that. ;D
Ok, I've tried it.  Works.  Absolutely hilarious.  8)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 12:50:37 AM »
And he doesn't move to attack you?

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 05:00:10 AM »
And to think the strategy guide recommended a Mega Missile (Indiana Jones style!).

But then that guidebook wasn't very useful.  I think it was the walkthrough for level 13, that had nothing to do with the actual level -- and only told you the start of the mission.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 06:18:41 AM »
And he doesn't move to attack you?
You don't even have to really see him save for a second when you position your first shot.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 07:22:42 AM »
I thought of a better interesting fact!

This level has the only actual "vocal" song in D3 -- one of the only two vocal songs in the Descent series!  In the intro to the proving grounds music, you have a female singer singing the words "take me".
After that there are no vocals.  Also the music feels "spidery" like the boss.

Oh, and it has a drum riff from the D2 level 2 midi song.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 11:08:17 AM »
I don't here anyone saying "take me" and I have got the entirety of Level 12 on YouTube. There is also Autopilot's version and the original version on there and still no vocals.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 11:19:29 AM by NUMBERZero »

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets