Author Topic: Locate Me - Edition 001  (Read 5591 times)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Locate Me - Edition 001
« on: September 24, 2011, 03:23:44 PM »
It's the "Locate this Descent Pic Game"  Edition 001

Let's see who can identify:
  • What Descent Level this is a pic of
  • Where in that level the player is at (describe as best you can).
  • Extra bonus:  Point out something unique about the level or the location
All the pics we'll use in this game (at least for now) will be from the Single Player levels of Descent 3 that came with the full game.

Let the game begin!  :D

Can you be the first to correctly identify the location?

This first pic should be fairly easy since ALL Descent 3 players have had the chance to see this.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 04:22:30 PM by TechPro »

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
Re: Locate Me - Edition 001
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 04:38:51 PM »
The most boring level in (retail) Descent history?

Offline DarkWing

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 06:44:36 PM »
Who said it needed to be an action shot?  I get the idea you're supposed to figure out where the shot was taken.  I've been looking at that and I haven't got a clue.  I can't remember anything like that in the SP level series.

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 07:49:07 PM »
This first pic should be fairly easy since ALL Descent 3 players have had the chance to see this.

Hmm, people who've only played D3, and all of them.

Level 1.

*smartass*
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 10:14:34 PM »
Why does the frickin picture never work for me when it is linked from the gallery?
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 06:32:13 AM »
I know exactly which level it's from, DarkWing. It's from the most boring level in the game.

The tutorial.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 07:54:35 AM »
It would not be boring if you had never played before and needed to learn how. And besides, I made an anarchy level from it years ago.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 08:49:59 AM »
I know exactly which level it's from, DarkWing. It's from the most boring level in the game.

The tutorial.
IHateHackers is correct.  It is not Level 1, but is the tutorial (or more precisely "Pilot Training") which is automatically started the first time you choose "New Game" after creating a new Pilot Profile.  Chalk the first one up for IHateHackers.

I'll concede it may be the most boring level of the SP set, however it is an important level because it teaches new pilots well in a simple manner.  It also is ideal for testing your control configuration ... and it does have a little action (though just against Gyros).

IHateHackers,
Just out of curiosity, what tipped you off that it was the tutorial?

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 09:13:39 AM »
Oh, haha, forgot about the tutorial. I never really took it, so I forget about it.
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 09:35:12 AM »
While I'm not IHateHackers, I think the thing that makes this particular area stand out is the green force field and lit bar structures spanning the room. I believe the bars are used in other levels, but combined with the green forcefield it seems pretty obvious.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 09:40:49 AM »
And the floor texture.

So... Does IHateHackers get to post the next screen?  (That's how these games work in other places).

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 11:25:58 AM »
Probably not, I'm sure Techpro's got a whole bunch of pics stockpiled by now that he's going to want to use. I've been aware that he was planning this little game for awhile now, but don't worry if you're thinking that gives me an unfair advantage; wisely, Techpro's kept most of these secret from me.

Like this one of the tutorial level. Didn't know he had a pic of it until now (even though I would've still guessed it correctly had IHateHackers not beaten me to it :P).
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 03:23:53 PM »
Why won't the picture work for me? I can't even put the direct link into the address bar.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 04:23:47 PM »
I added the picture as an attachment to the first message.  Try looking at that.

I guess in the future editions I'll need to attach the image as well as posting it.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 04:59:26 PM »
Yes, I see it now. Thank you.

I could have easily called that in a heart beat. Best not to let me glance any image of any D3 Retribution level first. ;)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets