Author Topic: Set course for ... Tatooine?  (Read 3349 times)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?

Crash

Re: Set course for ... Tatooine?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 01:49:47 AM »
This was on the news a day or two ago and I was wondering "so what?".
We've known about binary stars for ages and this whole thing seemed to be a massive tie-in with the Star Wars Blurays.
Either that or I'm being too cynical.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 05:56:37 AM »
Yeah, I saw that a long time ago and I always thought we already knew about their existence.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 06:05:17 AM »
Now I wish I could send a ship there to see if there's any planets resembling Na Pali.

But then again, Na Pali is known for it's ability to attract ships with insane amounts of gravity, so that would probably end up going terribly wrong :P

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 06:15:05 AM »
Hell, Descent had a system like that -- kinda.
Look up "Zeta Aquilae".
No I don't know if it actually has planets, but according to Descent it does which means (given my particular interpretation of the Descent II storyline) ALL the worlds in D2 would have to be this.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 06:33:46 AM »
and this whole thing seemed to be a massive tie-in with the Star Wars Blurays.

Maybe, maybe not.
However, I'd be far more willing to bet money on the "promotion" of Star Wars being on Blu-Ray.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 06:45:07 AM »
Here's some details on the real Zeta Aquilae. Not a whole lot, but as it turns out, it's actually a trinary star system. The article also does mention the system's mention in Descent II. :D

As for the discovery of "Tatooine," so to speak, I think you guys are being cynical, and I also think it's just coincidence. Personally, I can't blame them for making the comparison to Tatooine, as that'd probably be the first thing that comes to my mind myself. And astronomically speaking, it's a neat discovery, because as the article clearly states, the possibility of a planet forming in a binary star system has long been theorized, but this is the first time we've actually found one in such a system, proving that it can be done. 8)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 07:49:17 AM »
I guess my info was out of date then :D.

Crash

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 10:16:42 AM »
>>> I'd be far more willing to bet money on the "promotion" of Star Wars being on Blu-Ray.
- Yes, that's just what I was thinking.

>>> I think you guys are being cynical, and I also think it's just coincidence.
- Wake up man! There's no such thing as a coincidence! It's all capitalism gone mad!

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 11:39:48 AM »
>>> I'd be far more willing to bet money on the "promotion" of Star Wars being on Blu-Ray.
- Yes, that's just what I was thinking.

personally I don't care one way or another, but yeah, I tend to agree more so that there's some tie between the two.

I think you guys are being cynical, and I also think it's just coincidence.

Wake up man! There's no such thing as a coincidence! It's all capitalism gone mad!

I believe all things happen for a reason, and that yes, there is no such thing as a coincidence.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 11:42:29 AM by Vanguard »

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 01:17:02 PM »
Here's some details on the real Zeta Aquilae. Not a whole lot, but as it turns out, it's actually a trinary star system. The article also does mention the system's mention in Descent II. :D

As for the discovery of "Tatooine," so to speak, I think you guys are being cynical, and I also think it's just coincidence. Personally, I can't blame them for making the comparison to Tatooine, as that'd probably be the first thing that comes to my mind myself. And astronomically speaking, it's a neat discovery, because as the article clearly states, the possibility of a planet forming in a binary star system has long been theorized, but this is the first time we've actually found one in such a system, proving that it can be done. 8)

Back in the day when I made this screen name, I gave it a last name: Aquilae... I thought Alieo Aquilae always had a nice ring to it. Meh.
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets