Author Topic: Head phones...  (Read 3476 times)

Offline blessu

• Silver
  • 'dont get caught'
Head phones...
« on: September 15, 2011, 03:52:30 AM »
I have now got my system up and running again, used the Thomas installer (very impressed so far). Invested in some DJ style headphones....bit of a whim, I am sure you guys and gals have tried this but new experience for me, I could hear so clearly (even the slightest shhhh of an afterburner) and great for listening to descent music (so no one can complain). Just need to get back to playing better...I used to be OK but get cramps in my hands now :'(...still its all about taking part and having some fun  ;D 
'Blessu'

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Re: Head phones...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 07:59:48 AM »
I bought Sennheiser HD600's, which I got about 50% off, $260 some dollars. Retail I think is still over $500.
The 580's I use to have, made even the old doom games sound good. great for gaming, the surround sound, wow. you know right where they are, and approx how close or far they are.

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 11:42:05 AM »
I got these last weekend (red though): http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666321170

It's got heavy bass, and I love it, stylish too. :P

I'd still like to get really amazing earphones when I get enough money.
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Crash

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 11:55:16 AM »
Those look pretty reasonable and the big ones always sound better.
I have a pair of Sennheisers and every few months they keep breaking. One earpiece always dies and i just keep getting them replaced. I'm on my third pair now and they busted just the other week.
I've never seen anything like it but they sound brilliant while they work.
I also have some Denons and they are much harsher and less natural.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 01:22:21 PM »
yeah, the HD 580 I had did the same. my dad would buy the cables so you could plug new ones in.

My moms HD600 is the same now too. That's the one big con. otherwise, very nice in my opinion,

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 01:52:33 PM »
I use relatively cheap earbuds because for whatever reason my headphones tend to die a lot so I'd rather not spend $200 on something I'd only be able to use for a few months.

Also I like to have something portable because I take them with me everywhere.  That may have something to do with the dying.  And of all the different types of headphones I like the sound quality of earbuds best.

I got a great headset for my birthday in May this year, it has great audio quality both ways and I'm using it more for vocal recording for my music (for example Falcon Core and Apocalyptik and Swarm... and lots of others that happen to be on here).  I do want to use it for games at some point, but generally I mute voices in-game anyway -- it increases the immersion factor that way and I like the immersion even if its at the expense of some skill.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 06:58:42 PM »
Because my laptop has such crappy built-in speakers, wearing headphones while using it is a must if you want to actually enjoy the sounds said computer makes. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Crash

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 03:01:14 AM »
You would think a German company would make a butch pair of headphones - especially when mine are little in-ear ones that you carry around.
It's a shame really because they're unreliable but they sound better than any other pair that I've used when they work.
No set of heaphones seems to last me more than about a year. When those fairly cheap Sennheisers sound so good, I don't see the point in spending any/much more.
If you have a hi-fi in the house, you can always plug your PC in if you have a 3.5mm to phono cable. That always works a treat.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 04:37:50 AM »
I have the Grado Labs SR60's. It is amazing what using headphones does for a multiplayer game. Sneak around quietly, and hear your opponent' afterburner, hear him pick up powerups, bump the walls, open doors, etc...

Or you could just play sitting next to by son, the non-stop talker... He keeps up a running commentary of everything he does. (then he still kicks my but three times over  :P )
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Canceler

• Silver
  • reee!
    • visit my plebsite
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 07:32:29 PM »
i got Creative Aurvana Live! headphones on sale for $50.

for music on the go i got some Sennheiser CX300 buds for $17, passive sound cancelling is extremely effective, also great bass on these suckers.

they have a tendency to pick my ears for me so i have to scrape out the crap before and after using them. but i have extremely waxy ears anyway.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 07:34:25 PM by Canceler »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Offline blessu

• Silver
  • 'dont get caught'
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 04:09:51 AM »
i got Creative Aurvana Live! headphones on sale for $50.

for music on the go i got some Sennheiser CX300 buds for $17, passive sound cancelling is extremely effective, also great bass on these suckers.

they have a tendency to pick my ears for me so i have to scrape out the crap before and after using them. but i have extremely waxy ears anyway.
Nice, if you are passing through Esher near London drop them in (cash in hand of course) the others are no good for me as wont fit in my cauliflower ears  ;D
'Blessu'

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 06:20:22 AM »
The Grado's are the best.

Grado Prestige SR 60

Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Crash

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 08:21:44 AM »
Those CX 300 II Sennheisers are the same ones as I have, lol.
They're lovely but don't treat them roughly.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets