Author Topic: Just a reminder...  (Read 5912 times)

Crash

Re: Just a reminder...
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 05:16:20 PM »
Why not integrate the content into this site or another one ... to preserve folks' hard work etc.?
Sounds like a nice project to undertake.
Just upload them to the files area on here as ... PDF or whatever.
Maybe the Reactor area is too separated-off and demarcated from the other bits of the site? You could just use to files section to take over from it.

PS.: What kind of Shanghai, one-armed-bandit hosting company are you with that bills you to make a database backup???
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 05:19:33 PM by Crash »

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 05:47:49 PM »
ForumUp is a free forum hosting thing.  They provide the forum for free and let you choose your topic, layout, name, what to have, etc.  You just have to live with one banner ad, no free backup (because you could take that backup elsewhere) thus protecting their hosting efforts... and keep the traffic somewhat active.  It was easy, quick, very flexible, and worked very nice.

If I needed a forum for something for a while that likely wouldn't be permanent, I'd use that service again.

Crash

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 03:20:40 AM »
Ahh, I see - well I don't rate any company that provides a hosting service that plays a hostage/ransom game with your raw data, even though I can understand their motivation.
The point about the easy upkeep is always good. Forums can be a beast to manage, depending on the software you're using.
Sometimes auto-installers like Fantastico can be useful and you can customize the forum the way you want afterwards.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 10:33:53 AM »
Quote from: Foil
Any chance you can post those backups here, so they're accessible?  (Along with the logo, too.  Don't want to lose that.)

Well, let's see what I can do here...

Eeyup, looks like I can post them as attachments here. :) They're in .docx format, hopefully that shouldn't be an issue (they seem to be a fairly versatile file format these days).

As for the logo, I posted a copy of it on deviantART more than a year ago, and I think I still have not only a jpeg copy, but also the original .psd file somewhere, so we're good there too. :) Actually though, I wouldn't mind having to go back and redoing it, though, because looking back, I think it could use a few improvements. Plus I never ever did fix that black blob around the GX's tail fin...  ::)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 10:40:51 AM by Scyphi »
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 12:39:55 PM »
Do you want to put them up on Reactor, or would everyone prefer a section here for DFF? My original thought for Reactor is that it is easier to read there as the stories can use HTML for better formatting, each story can have a completly different skin and banner, but it is not so great in that it is not so integrated as it would be here, ie, another login, another system to learn to use... But I'll leave it up to you guys, let me know what you want.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Crash

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2011, 01:47:52 PM »
>>> the stories can use HTML for better formatting, each story can have a completly different skin and banner

That was a really good idea. Very nice

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets