Author Topic: Finally Reinstalled Descent!  (Read 2689 times)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
Finally Reinstalled Descent!
« on: September 14, 2011, 08:27:34 AM »
I finally got around to reinstalling all 3 Descent games after reformatting and installing Windows 7. I still probably won't do multiplayer much but maybe I'll finally work my way through the single player.

(And be reinstalling I mean copying my INTERPLY folder over to my new hard drive :P)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: Finally Reinstalled Descent!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 08:48:41 AM »
Ahm.  I've heard of cases where copying an installation of D3 from one computer to another can cause problems with Mercenary-related files.  Such as the Black Pyro not working.  At all.
And same with the Mercenary campaign.

Xaihyv has this problem because we couldn't get a normal install or the Dateiliste installer to work on his new (new-ish now) laptop so we had to copy D3 from Klixovann's computer.  We're still trying to figure out how to get it to work.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 09:23:01 AM »
Ah, you misunderstood. I copied directly D1/2. Descent 3 installs to Games, silly, not INTERPLY. I copied all the missions, configs, etc from D3 to the new hard drive, then installed Descent3 and Merc over it. Works like a charm. It's as if I never even formatted.

I just played a game of Subway dancer (bleh) and actually did better than I ever did before. Of course, this is Subway Dancer we're talking about so make of that what you will.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 11:06:36 AM »
I am not a fan of copy/paste when it comes to "installing" (if you can call it that) software.
But on rare occasions, that's what the manual says, like Call of Duty 2 for the iMac; "copy/paste onto harddrive"

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 11:12:50 AM »
Well, Descent 1 and 2 are entirely contained in their folder, thus making them portable.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 02:57:54 PM »
D3 is very intended to be installed rather than copied, though in rare situations a normal D3 installation without mercs can be copied. D1 and D2 have always been portable throughout their lifespan, as most games that I know of in that era wouldn't require on environment variables being registered or exact paths for configs, and Rebirth at least is much the same.

(in fact, rebirth is pretty much designed to just be copy/pasted from it's zip folder)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 03:49:23 PM »
So is D2X-XL.  The installer is basically just there to make all the subfolder stuff easier for a first-time installation.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 10:59:58 PM »
This being why I ran the D3 installer after copying it.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 08:22:58 AM »
When I got my new laptop and was looking to install D1/D2 on it, Techpro even advised me to just copy and paste them from another computer, as that would be much easier than trying to do it through the installer. And I did just that (although not without some issues, but I don't think that's the game's fault but rather the computer's).
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets