Author Topic: Something interesting I found  (Read 3252 times)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Something interesting I found
« on: September 09, 2011, 12:03:02 PM »
Red Faction 2 OST - Catacombs

Sonic Heroes OST - Egg Emperor

Notice any glaring similarities?
It's probably just a commercial sample, but if not then I wonder what the story behind it is.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Re: Something interesting I found
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 12:28:07 PM »
I don't know if I hear anything that sound alike. Maybe I'll have to play it at home to hear better.

This may sound morbid, but some famous funeral (march) music sounds a lot like that wedding song where they sing "Here comes the bride."

update: tried again. First was Red Faction; and then I went and did whatever else on the desktop. I then selected Sonic, and at the very beginning, (as I am not looking at the youtube site or anything), i'm thinking, "I thought I picked the sonic one."

the very beginning of Sonic does sound like the Red Faction one.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 12:38:51 PM by Vanguard »

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 01:07:39 PM »
Well it's the exact same drumloop. ::)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 01:16:22 PM »
there is some song that has the SAME beginning as that Vanilla Ice song, "ice ice baby". why do I know this? haven't heard Vanilla Ice in years, but I think I heard it a lot, friend loved it, and it's drilled in my mind.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 10:12:10 AM »
I think this just proves that rock songs such as these have only so many variations they can use before they have to recycle the old, or change genres. :P

I say that not because I have anything against rock (it's not my favorite genre of music, but I've heard a few good rock songs nonetheless so I can still appreciate it for what it is), it's just when you really think about it, a lot of modern rock songs have similarities to each other.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 11:18:42 AM »
Eh... I think there are a few problems with that argument.
First off, I can see what you mean about why they would re-use a drum riff... I'm not arguing with that part (though I think what you're talking about with rock music is a lot of inspiration + a lack of creativity on the artists' part, not a genuine lack of options -- copying a riff isn't a crime after all).
That said, the drum riff itself isn't the only thing that's the same.  The actual drum sounds are exactly the same between both songs as well.
In certain circumstances that wouldn't be so unusual... with a limited set of drum samples it would be reasonably possible to use the same ones.

Except one of the songs didn't use samples.  All the music for Sonic games from Sonic Adventure onwards is recorded live either by the Japan Symphony Orchestra or by the various bands who do the character theme songs.
I'm reasonably certain that until Red Faction Guerrilla the Red Faction games used digitally created music.

So did Red Faction simply use the sample that was recorded by the Japan Symphony Orchestra for Egg Emperor?

In all likelyhood it couldn't have.  Red Faction II was released 2 years before Sonic Heroes.

Could the Japan Symphony Orchestra have recreated it that exactly by playing it live?
I seriously doubt it.

That's why my thought is that it's a commecially available sample/loop.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 05:22:52 AM »
can I download that Red Faction track somewhere, like at Amazon? Tried to find it, but couldn't. kind of a catchy tune.

Offline tueidj

• Silver
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 06:52:57 PM »
there is some song that has the SAME beginning as that Vanilla Ice song, "ice ice baby". why do I know this? haven't heard Vanilla Ice in years, but I think I heard it a lot, friend loved it, and it's drilled in my mind.

You're thinking of Queen's "Under Pressure", which Vanilla Ice shamelessly ripped off sampled.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 07:07:25 PM »
yeah, the intro is the same; heard ice ice baby too many times, from some friend who loved it.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 02:34:16 PM »
Yes, it is the same exact drumloop. Some songs use stock music segments. For example, I heard this drum and tinkling sound on Malcolm in the Middle one day.

(0:17 exactly)
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets