Author Topic: Final Shuttle Launch  (Read 5187 times)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
Final Shuttle Launch
« on: June 28, 2011, 02:57:27 PM »
Just got the OK from the car doctor that Mortimer II is good to go on my 3000 mile road trip to the Florida Keys. I depart Houston on July 5th, and on the way, I will stop at Cape Canaveral, FL and watch the final lift-off of the space shuttle program. After that, it's straight to the keys for fun in the sun, boating, fishing, lounging on hammocks tied to palm trees and pink lemonade! I'll be gone the 5th through the 16th.
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: Final Shuttle Launch
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 06:33:31 AM »
You bringing a camera? I'd love to see some pictures of the launch! :D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 11:38:48 AM »
I won't be seeing it, not in person anyway. It does sound like a neat thing to see though.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 02:06:25 PM »
I dunno if I'm going to even attempt to film it. All I have is my smartphone, which takes PRETTY good pics and vids, but I'll be so far away off the side of US-1, about 10-12 miles from the launch site, that it won't be in good quality. What I want to do is have some music playing while the shuttle launches and time it just right to this song:

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 11:00:53 PM »
PTMC Directive VAC MS 513-228
TO: PD Station Satellite - Earth Orbit

Day 1 in my journey to Key West, FL by car from Houston, TX is complete. I slept in and started out late at 15:00 CDT. Trip is going okay, and Mortimer II is running smooth. Started trip out with 67,900 miles.

A tragic even occurred at around 22:30 CDT, when out of nowhere, a dog jumped in the middle of the highway. At first it was going to run and cross all the way but at the last minute it decided to outrun Mortimer II and all the while I'm screeching to a halt and cannot move to any other lanes because there were cars in both lanes around me. (I was in the middle lane.) I struck it. Memories of his final yelp of sheer terror followed by the loud impact the vehicle made echo through my brain. I felt sooo deeply disturbed afterwards, and still do. The poor dog was a beautiful yellow lab type mix with pointy ears. I pulled over to the side of the road and called my dad to tell him to give my dogs at home a hug.

This is a fine example why dumbsh*ts shouldn't let their animals ride in the back of their trucks without a pet carrier. If that dog's owner really loved their dog, they should have taken better precautions to ensure it's safety. I know it's not my fault the dog is dead, but I'm still brokenhearted that it's precious life was taken by my hands.

I'm sending this PTMC Directive from Biloxi, MS, where I'll be spending the night. This Motel 6 I'm at is RIIIGHT across from a beach. It will be beautiful to wake up to in the morning. Tomorrow, I inch closer and closer to Cape Canaveral, FL.

[TRANSMISSION COMPLETE]

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 08:52:35 PM »
PTMC Directive VAC FL 513-904

Day 2 is up. 990 miles later, I'm in St. Augustine, FL, historically THE oldest city in the USA, and 103 miles from the Kennedy Space Center. Tomorrow will be spent mostly looking for a hotel for Friday's launch instead of driving forever.

Intelligence reports heavy infestation among popular tourist spots near the space center. If anything, I may just have to settle here, but I'll have to wait and see.

No more roadkill to report today, thank goodness!

[TRANSMISSION COMPLETE]

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 12:22:42 AM »
Bonus: The lighthouse in St Augustine is supposidly haunted. I don't know if it is possible to be able to go into it at night with all of the lights off.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 07:42:14 AM »
Heard on the news today that the launch might be delayed due to bad weather. That going to be a problem for you, Alieo?
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 04:02:58 PM »
PTMC Directive VAC FL 513-321

Day 3, left St. Augustine this morning. Didn't even know there was a lighthouse there!

In coming into the "Space Coast" area, it was, at first, disheartening to find out how cruel these hotels will scalp people for a room. A Super 8 Motel wanted $279.99 for one person, one night! This podunk motel wanted $229, and a few others were in the $250s! The pigs at Super 8 told me that within 40 miles of the space center, I would not find one cheaper than $250.

So, I just traveled further south until I got a hunch to stop at this isolated motel along Hwy 1, and I was pleasantly surprised to find a place for $95 + tax. When I thanked the innkeeper for not having such high scalping prices, she replied, "I don't rob the people." God bless her.

Chance of shuttle no-go is 70%. If it doesn't happen tomorrow, I will go ahead and continue on to Key West and miss it. I'm tired, and I'm not going to let all my money get drained. I still need to have FUN during this trip! I've been working SO hard for SO long without any respite. It's time for a break. Besides, there's a 60% chance of rain here for the next 7 days, so if it doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon, I might as well move on down the road to Key West. Maybe, if I'm lucky, I will see it on the way back, if it hasn't happened already.

I've been wanting to do this for so long, and have been talking about seeing this forever, but when it comes to it, I'm here to get relief from my job burnout, not get even more exhausted. I'm afraid of getting suckered out of a true vacation experience. After this launch is over tomorrow, whether it happens or not, I'm going to take the rest of my trip slow.

[TRANSMISSION COMPLETE]

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 09:19:21 PM »
PTMC Directive VAC FL 513-305

MISSION SUCCESSFUL... Shuttle Atlantis successfully (and miraculously) launched without getting scrubbed, and I got to see it LIVE. Words cannot describe the sense of awe inside as the shuttle cleared Launchpad 39A, other than I had a sense of burning awe and pride that burned just as bright inside me as the fireball lifting into the sky. I have witnessed history from within Titusville, but south of Downtown Titusville. Then, one minute after the  shuttle cleared the clouds, a roll of thunder... and it got louder and louder and LOUDER and palm trees shook, birds flew, it was the sonic boom of Atlantis! This will be a day in my life I will NEVER forget, and I have a special treat for you guys... I filmed it!

Day 4 was sure out of the world. Tomorrow begins the R&R phase of my vacation. I have successfully made it through torrential Miami traffic and made it to Key Largo, FL tonight. The ocean is all around you here, and it is absolutely stunning. I'll be travelling to Key West, completing the 1st half of my 3000 mile journey out here.

Bucket List Item Completed: Witness a Shuttle Launch... *check*

[TRANSMISSION COMPLETE]

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 02:59:00 AM »
I got to see the shuttle launch at night, one time. Damn, it was like the gorram sun was freaking rising! MOAR POWER!!!!
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 05:57:53 AM »
Yay, glad you got the see the launch, AND catch it on video! Very cool to watch, even though it was from such a distance. :D
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 06:18:20 AM »
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 06:46:31 AM by ...WillyP... »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 01:18:18 PM »
Official NASA videos ...

Shuttle Launch Recap (with some cool views)
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/index.html?media_id=100309441

View of the launch from one of NASA's cameras:
http://www.youtube.com/v/Pg5U4pA87yQ

A 30 minute tribute to the Shuttle's 30 year history.  Very nice.
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/index.html?media_id=99763501

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 11:13:21 PM »
PTMC Directive VAC 513-305

After Day 5 of my journey, I have reached my halfway point: Key West, Florida. It was nice to see the shuttle launch, but after driving 1,507 miles from Houston out here, it's time to RELAX and soak up the sun.

Tomorrow (well, TODAY technically) is Mortimer II's "birthday" (anniversary of the day I bought him). I'll have had him for 2 years, today, but he's really 21 years old. Pretty good for a 1990 vehicle to make it all the way out here to Key West!

When I purchased Mortimer II, he had 48,253 miles rolling off the lot in Cincinnati, OH as I drove him 1147 miles back home to Houston. I can't believe I've already exceeded those miles on this trip. Right NOW he's got 69,517 miles. Happy Birthday, Mortimer II!

As a birthday present to Mortimer II, I will NOT fire him up at ALL. He needs to sleep! Tomorrow, I will remain in Key West as Mortimer II rests and FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY get to sleeeeep in. Something I have NOT been able to do ALL trip long thanks to check out times. I hate waking up early. You can't travel anywhere here in Historic Key West because there are no parking places. The best thing to do is to ride a bike, and luckily I brought mine. I will be visiting the home of Ernest Hemingway and go to various bars, have the famous "Key Lime Pie" (this IS where it was invented, by the way!) and end the day on a glass bottom boat tour of America's only living coral reef, and then on that same tour, be out on the water while watching the sunset.

It's crazy... Cuba is closer than home right now!

[TRANSMISSION COMPLETE]

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets