Author Topic: Just a reminder...  (Read 5911 times)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Just a reminder...
« on: April 25, 2011, 06:59:05 AM »
...that Descent Fan Fiction still exists.

I bring it up, because unless something changes here very soon, it'll be willingly shut down do to inactivity due to the fact that Techpro is the only semi-active member, and even he has confessed that probably isn't going to last for much longer.

If we do opt to shut it down, we will work to preserve as much material as we can from the site.

So, again, last chance to turn Descent Fan Fiction around.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Re: Just a reminder...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 07:26:08 AM »
I feel bad in a way. I so wanted to write something, but I have 0 time, and almost 0 interest. Kind of nice looking back and seeing what I use to write, and what others said.

I hope I can get this copied in some word processor or something before you close it down, if it goes in that direction.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 07:30:41 AM by Vanguard »

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 07:49:10 AM »
I really don't see any sense in shutting it down, even if nobody uses it. It's not an unused phpbb installation is a huge resource hog. If you do shut it down, you should export the database so somebody else could put it up somewhere if they wanted to.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 08:05:40 AM »
Unfortunately, it's hosted on a site which requires activity to keep it going.  TechPro and Scy have been periodically posting there to keep it alive.

We can look into getting a db export (costs $) or backing up the stories somewhere... but it really is time to let it come down.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 08:59:21 AM »
I have to remind myself to copy that before it's gone. I sent this email to my girl friend. I may have to send one to myself as a reminder.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 10:16:48 AM »
If you can get a back up I'll see what i can do about setting up a replacement.  If not, copy the stories in text format and I'll put them on Reactor.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 10:30:58 AM »
I actually remembered, but then again, I sent myself an email. I have some in my own word processor.

I was thinking of logging in there and saying whatever. Probably no point and don't remember my password. This is a good 5 years back, and five years ago, I think I was using Time Warner's Road Runner. No way to recover that email address.

It's all okay.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 11:32:55 AM by Vanguard »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 12:33:36 PM »
Quote from: WillyP
If not, copy the stories in text format and I'll put them on Reactor.

Except I don't know if they'd be any better off there. Who here does much of anything with Reactor? I know I don't, and I DO seem to be the resident writer here.

I'm also fairly confident that the topic came up before, but got ruled out for whatever reason, so that's why.

But there is that possibility nonetheless, so don't think it's not been noted. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 12:36:00 PM »
what's a reactor? I only know those in Descent.

If any were placed in Reactor, I am sure some would go there. That or, have some topic created linking to it. Can one add a menu there, Home/forum/reactor/etc etc../Stories

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 02:12:49 PM »
Poor choice of hosting then, I'm sorry to say. I have forums that have been inactive for 5+ years that are still up.

The Admin panel doesn't have anything in Maintenance like "Backup"?

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 06:50:16 AM »
what's a reactor? I only know those in Descent.

If any were placed in Reactor, I am sure some would go there. That or, have some topic created linking to it. Can one add a menu there, Home/forum/reactor/etc etc../Stories

Van, there is already a link, scroll up and look next to the forum button. Wait, are you using a different theme? Maybe i didn't add the link to a theme. What theme are you using?

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 06:55:01 AM »
sorry, forgot my smiley. I was being sarcastic. I think I am using the default theme, and I see it as home/forum/reactor/gallery... etc...

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 07:12:09 AM »
Quote from: WillyP
If not, copy the stories in text format and I'll put them on Reactor.

Except I don't know if they'd be any better off there. Who here does much of anything with Reactor? I know I don't, and I DO seem to be the resident writer here.

I'm also fairly confident that the topic came up before, but got ruled out for whatever reason, so that's why.

But there is that possibility nonetheless, so don't think it's not been noted. :)

The difference is they won't be deleted just because there is no activity. And back ups are made. Free.

Reactor is meant more as a showcase of finished stories. If you want something else let me know what you guys want to do and if it's a matter of providing space here we can do that.  I can set up subforums here if you want, or a separate forum if you want that. But the bottom line is that if you want to preserve everything you have at the existing forum, someone will have to pony up for a back up. If you just want to preserve finished stories, you are welcome to copy them to Reactor, or I can set up a forum, or subforums here, whatever you guys decide. Doing it that way, of course you would lose all the member data and discussion, etc.

Either way you'll have a backup. So there won't be any tears if the site goes down.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 01:17:54 PM »
Thread revival, I know, but I thought I should let everyone here know that we (meaning me) finished making backups of the major stories on Descent Fan Fiction today, so I fully expect that unless something drastic happens, it won't be long before the site goes down.

So...this is seriously the last chance to turn things around there.
Check out my deviantART

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 01:41:41 PM »
Thank you so much, Scy!

Any chance you can post those backups here, so they're accessible?  (Along with the logo, too.  Don't want to lose that.)

As for the DFF forums, I'm honestly fine with letting them go.  It was created simply as a mechanism for a PD project which has long since run its course.  It was fun, and perhaps if interest ever crops up again, a new DFF (or a new DFF section here on PlanetDescent) can be created.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets