Author Topic: I Could Never be an Engineer...  (Read 6433 times)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
I Could Never be an Engineer...
« on: March 29, 2011, 01:57:34 AM »
...but I wanted to when I re-started college last semester! Now, my dreams are all shattered. I was looking at engineering because I have SOOO many ideas on developing alternative sources of fuel such as, research into magnetics, influence of radioactive elements, water powered cars, flying cars... *SIGH* all that is out the window now and I am TOTALLY lost and don't know what I should do with my life. Here's the issue...

I am HORRIBLE at math. I can't pass it for the life of me. I'm in College Algebra for the THIRD... count it... one... two.. THREE... THIRD time! And that is the MAXIMUM number of tries you can take a course over here in Texas, or else you'll have to take it out of state. I cannot grasp the concept for the life of me, no matter how much tutoring, how much help, online videos I seek, I cannot grasp the concepts.

Now, here's the thing... I'm awful at math, and as I said, am currently THREE-PEATING College Algebra. However, I remember numbers like nobody's business. For example, I have 752 CDs/Playlists and I have them each titled with a nice design (if it's a custom burned CD/put together playlist) and numbered 1-752. If you gave me a number 1-752, I'd be able to tell you the title of that CD right off the bat! BTW, my Descent music collection is from 100-105! LOL! Another example, I can watch a movie and remember the numbers of the apartments or houses in that movie. For example, in the movie Gran Torino with Clint Eastwood, Clint's character was shot down outside of house #217... and I only saw that movie once in the theaters! I have a photographic memory of that number. But ask me to find the input and output function of f(x) when x = 4x^2 + SqRt(47) and I'll freeze. It doesn't work like that... DOES NOT COMPUTE!!!

So what the HECK can I get a degree in if I cannot even pass the required College Algebra course? The simplest ART degree here requires "BASIC" College Algebra (BASIC MY A**!!!) Is my life really over? I don't want to go to a trade school... been there done that! $10,000 later, none of those credits from that school were transferable to university so I have to start from scratch! I'm just feeling very vexed and hopeless right now. I have a test later on this afternoon, and I predict I will get at least an "8" on it! Well, I better get some sleep. Wish me luck! Sorry, just had to rant about this. Verrrrry frustrated right now...
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Re: I Could Never be an Engineer...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 06:13:00 AM »
good luck. I don't know if it helps or hurts, but I suck at math too. I am okay with some of the basics, but, 2x+4y=something z, and 5y is the same as 45, or whatever, is something that only scares me.  :o

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 07:26:03 PM »
@Vanguard... thanks man... yeah I totally bombed that test. Now the question is, are my grades salvageable to pass the course? And if I don't, am I seriously blocked from ALL degree plans?

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 06:26:08 AM »
as much as I suck at math, i suck more at college talk. sorry. I have no idea how to help you in that field. I know that a 4.0 something is best, GPA or something.

Offline Canceler

• Silver
  • reee!
    • visit my plebsite
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 07:28:38 AM »
maybe your tutoring/teachers just really, really suck. i know algebra was bloody difficult to grasp and i just didn't get it when i was doing it the first time, and that was because it wasn't explained well. i had a really good math teacher in high school and was able to grasp it. maybe it would do you well to take a different course?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 07:57:03 AM »
Go look at youtube videos. They help me more than my teacher. My algebra teaher REALLY SUCKS!!!!!
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 05:12:12 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds math and algebra unfathomable. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 09:02:48 AM »
Alright... about to go to class... and find out my grade!!!

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 04:24:50 AM »
ok, good luck my friend!
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 10:05:12 PM »
Well, good luck...

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 10:12:18 PM »
Okay... went to class and she did not grade the tests yet but said she will post them online. Let's find out what I made...

...and the result is... NOT in yet... dang it. I'll check back on it tomorrow.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 10:35:40 AM »
74... passed!

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 10:37:28 AM »
Congrats.

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 12:00:15 PM »
Goood one!

See, there is a word my Uncle often tells: "One can shatter rocks, with a will-powered pee" (Creative... NO?)... Nice job there, Alieo!

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 12:32:43 PM »
lololol

Good job. That was a close one.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets