Author Topic: I JUST SAW MY FIRST ROCK SHOW!!!  (Read 4681 times)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
I JUST SAW MY FIRST ROCK SHOW!!!
« on: March 19, 2011, 11:17:56 PM »
If anyone has EVER heard of the group Bauhaus, I saw Peter Murphy LIVE in concert at Numbers Nightclub in Houston tonight, and MAAAN did he tear it up! Yeah, I think I'm kinda late at going to my first concert/show at age 26, but wow... this was an artist I love so much and my GOD it was dynamic!

Peter Murphy isn't REALLY really mainstream and famous, but my all-time favorite song ever is by him. It's called "Indigo Eyes." His most popular song is probably "Bella Lugosi's Dead." I don't really know TOO much about his VAST discography because he has a lot of stuff out there ranging within different genres, so a LOT of his stuff I hadn't heard before. It was funny because Peter Murphy is who I went to go see, and not being to a "show" before, I thought Peter had shaved his head bald... so when he got done playing, he had some CDs for sale but it was under the name "Livan." I just thought, oh, maybe he's in a band now called "Livan." Then he came up to the sales stand when he was taking a break and was there when I purchased his CD. I had him autograph the CD and I told him I LOVED and ADMIRED his work, and he was very humble and appreciated that. Haha! Silly me... LIVAN was the LEAD IN to Peter Murphy! I THOUGHT HE LOOKED DIFFERENT!!!! LMAO!!! Hey! They both had great voices and English accents! I felt so stupid. But Livan was darn good too!

Then, the REAL Peter Murphy took the stage... people reached out to touch him like he was Jesus Christ! He even kissed this girl in the front row who in turn kissed this other guy... and the guy was gay and he kissed a girl! LOL! Now, THAT is some DEVOTION!! All in all it was a very very fun evening, and I will be back to see many many more shows within my lifetime! Right now, I can still hear the ringing in my ears. Man, it's so great to see someone on stage I've listened to for almost 10 years now! SO wonderful! Even if you don't know who I'm talking about, if you've ever been to a show or a concert, you can relate to where I'm coming from!
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
Re: I JUST SAW MY FIRST ROCK SHOW!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 03:35:41 AM »
The last rock concert I've been was the farewell concert of "Scorpions"...

And before thet I've been in Sonisphere 2010 Istanbul. I went to all 3 days of it, and watched the "Big 4" live!!

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 02:48:14 AM »
There is just no substitute for seeing a live concert.  ;D
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 08:19:29 AM »
I was at my first concert a few weeks ago... not exactly a rock concert, more like a mix of rock, Canadian folk, and stand-up comedy... The Arrogant Worms.  I loved it!  I wish I was still there :P.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 08:55:22 AM »
I went to another orchestra on Saturday. It was my second time at any orchestra. They played Scheherazade. This girl I am going out with loves that music too. I was so hoping to have her with, but she was out of town for the weekend.

What pretty music though! I wanted to hear it again after they finished it.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 10:22:39 AM »
I'm not sure I could name a "best overall" concert, but there are a few I remember best:

- Ballet/orchestral (a Christmas set with the OK Symphonic, I remember being mesmerized the whole time)
- Punk (MxPx, back in '95 or so, very small room, people crowd-surfing, much fun!)
- Rap (a guy called "T-Bone" in the early '90s, the guy was impressively quick with lyrics, goofball but enjoyable)
- Broadway ("The Lion King" a few years ago - I was honestly blown away by the set designs and quality of the show)
- Rock (the Spin Doctors - I knew their '90s hits, but those guys were REALLY good on stage, and put on one of the best rock shows I can recall)
- Pop (one of the shows I most vividly remember was in '94 featuring Sixpence None the Richer, who over the years have become my all-time favorite group)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 01:28:44 PM by Foil »

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 05:21:21 PM »
Hmm, I should definately go to a House concert/club/whatever sometime. Maybe DJ Collete, or Bryan Jones or somebody.. :D
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 05:45:31 PM »
Woah, Foil! Those were some good shows!

Here's the exact show I went to live at Numbers Nightclub - Houston, TX 3/19/11. Someone there had a good camera!

Peter Murphy has a great voice but none can compare to hearing it live and in person!
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 07:18:02 PM »
I went to see the WSO (Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra) twice actually.  They're quite impressive.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 07:41:47 PM »
@Vanguard, Scheherazade is one of my favorites.  I've got it on CD and mp3s and on every player I have.  The kids have heard me play it many times, but I don't think they know it by name.

On topic... The last live "rock" concert I went to was Huey Lewis and The News at the Salt Palace in Salt Lake City (before they tore the Salt Palace down).  It was the Heart of Rock n Roll tour.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 08:21:41 PM »
@Vanguard, Scheherazade is one of my favorites.  I've got it on CD and mp3s and on every player I have.  The kids have heard me play it many times, but I don't think they know it by name.

On topic... The last live "rock" concert I went to was Huey Lewis and The News at the Salt Palace in Salt Lake City (before they tore the Salt Palace down).  It was the Heart of Rock n Roll tour.

it is great music isn't it? I have that on CD, MP3, my droid cell phone, itunes, and also backed up on the harddrive and a flash/thumb drive. Of course, that's the case with 99% of my songs :)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets