Author Topic: Freespace 3 (Small bit of news)  (Read 7370 times)

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Freespace 3 (Small bit of news)
« on: February 09, 2011, 12:48:52 PM »
Seems like the guys back at Volition are definately wanting to do a FreeSpace 3

http://pc-mmo.nowgamer.com/news/5142/volition-wed-kill-to-make-freespace-3

Heck yes!
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Re: Freespace 3 (Small bit of news)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 01:44:47 PM »
that was a fun game. people started to hate joysticks? I would think if that's the sort of game, you'd love to use one. I think it was fun using that in Freespace, and sometimes even the Descent games.
The marble mouse, like with FPS, is in my opinion, the best.

Who knows what will happen. If anything does, I'll get it if it's available for the imac or ps3. I imagine it'd be hard on any console though, like Descent. so many buttons, so many things one can do with the game.

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 01:52:58 PM »
Freespace 3? Well, first Descent itself is reviving for sure, and now my favorite space-sim... But it looks like a simple petition for now...

Still, it is good to hear from it, I'd like to go and kiK some Shivan @$$!!

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 03:22:21 PM »
I have to agree with people not liking joysticks. Everyone is all "lulz why wud i use a joystick wen i can aimz beter wit a mouse?"

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 07:47:51 PM »
I remember one of my cousins had a joy + mouse combo for Quake 3. (Joy for movement, mouse for looking.) I don't know how efficient that is, but it seems like it'd be a fun combo.
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 06:24:09 AM »
Never really got into Freespace that much, but seeing that Freespace is in alot of ways Descent's cousin, I must admit this is good news indeed.

Of course, this doesn't mean they're going to do it, just that they'd really, really, really, really, want to, but haven't come up with a justification yet.

I was completely unaware joysticks went out of fashion. When did this happen?
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 06:41:21 AM »
Ha! Go to any brick and morter store, and see if you can find a joystick!  

But, I use a joystick because I just don't feel like I am in a cockpit with the mouse or keyboard.  And if you don't think a joystick is accurate, try an M/S sidewinder.  Joysticks made today are crap quality.

Anyway, I don't see anything in that article that would indicate an FS3 is in the works... to the contrary, it sounds like Jim Boone is lamenting the fact.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 06:45:32 AM by ...WillyP... »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 09:54:17 AM »
I cant remember the brand name of my old joystick, but I loved it. the HAT, I think that's what it is called, broke and I wanted to get a new one. I ended up waiting for Christmas, and it was discontinued :(
never had one again.
then i just used a Logitech marble mouse and suddendly, I'm in heaven.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 09:58:24 AM »
I have to agree with people not liking joysticks. Everyone is all "lulz why wud i use a joystick wen i can aimz beter wit a mouse?"

Mice are more accurate, yes.  However, they are limited when it comes to extended turns, which is a huge part of space-flight games like Freespace.  Constantly having to pick up the mouse to move it back to the pad can get pretty frustrating for that kind of flight.

Also, WillyP is quite correct that the MS Sidewinder 3DPro (the original, not any of the later models) is the most accurate stick out there.  It has an optical sensor rather than a potentiometer for all three axes, so its 'dead zone' can be turned all the way down.  Plus, the position data it sends uses more bits than most, so it's more accurate.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 02:20:45 PM »
I have one of the MS Sidewinder 3DPro and two of the Precision, and I don't think there is substantial difference in accuracy between them.  Maybe a better player that I would notice the difference more.  The Precision has a better handle and button placement, I don't use any base buttons at all, I use the keyboard for my other hand.

Not saying Foil is wrong, but compared to the Logitech Extreme 3d Pro, they are both good sticks.  The Logitech is kinda sloppy. 

But I use the Logitech because it works on a usb, whereas the MS sticks need a gameport.

Offline Foil

• Gold
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 02:50:57 PM »
I have one of the MS Sidewinder 3DPro and two of the Precision, and I don't think there is substantial difference in accuracy between them.

They both have the optical-sensor design, but from what I've been told by Grendel (he would know), the Precision Pro design sends less bits for the Z-axis positional data.

But, yes, both are much more accurate than any of the other sticks out there (including Logitech / Saitek / etc.).

P.S. WillyP, take a look at the Product ID on the bottom of your Precision Pro sticks.  If either one starts with "85791", it's USB-compatible.  You can find (or build!) the adapter for it, and use it with USB.

P.P.S. Grendel has posted Instructions for building his USB converter for the 3DPro.  I use one, and it's amazing how great it feels!

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 05:54:40 PM »
I've thought about building Grendel's adapter but it needs a custom programmed chip.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 07:19:57 AM »
I believe my little brother, by chance, managed to buy one of the Sidewinder 3DPro joysticks from a thrift store once. He never uses it, though, because he's not used to using a joystick to play games with (in fact, none of us are).
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Foil

• Gold
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 09:25:59 AM »
I've thought about building Grendel's adapter but it needs a custom programmed chip.

Gren's instructions include the little app for programming the chip.

If either of your Precision-Pros are the USB-compatible variety, that adapter is simple, just a matter of connecting a few wires.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 09:54:14 AM »
P.S. WillyP, take a look at the Product ID on the bottom of your Precision Pro sticks.  If either one starts with "85791", it's USB-compatible.  You can find (or build!) the adapter for it, and use it with USB.

Yes they both do. Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that!  My IIRC is that the adapters, other than Grendal's, did not work as correctly, I forget what the complaint was.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets