Author Topic: Is this a tough question, or is it just me?  (Read 5998 times)

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Is this a tough question, or is it just me?
« on: October 17, 2010, 01:19:32 PM »
My self-destruct sequence was activated over this and I want to know if you think that this practice SAT prompt is a tough one.

People choose their occupations for different reasons to make money, to help others, to make the world a better place. What do you think is the most rewarding occupation you could have, excluding illegal activities? Write a newspaper editorial to convince readers which occupation is the most rewarding and why. Remember to:
•establish your opinion or position and provide specific facts, details, and examples to support the opinion or position
•arrange ideas in an organized manner
•speak in a convincing and knowledgeable way

"which occupation is the most rewarding and why" is what is getting my goat. IDK why it would be rewarding. I don't have a job yet and I have no idea about these things. I do want to become an Aerospace Engineer so I have a career goal. It pays well and it would help people get to space n stuff like that, but that's as far as I can think on that.

Is this a tough question or not? (probably a silly question by me. :P)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 01:24:46 PM by NUMBERZero »
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: Is this a tough question, or is it just me?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 04:07:49 PM »
It would be very tough for me... I'm a 3rd year in University and I still don't know what I want to do (leaning a bit toward Genetics, but I also enjoyed Psychology, and was good at it.  Also considering other things).

The most important criterion I'd have for a job: I want to enjoy it.  I think my life is pointless if I don't enjoy it (legally of course :P), and a job will take up so much of it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 04:11:26 PM by Alter-Fox »

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 05:16:03 PM »
You don't need to have experience in a job to have an opinion and write about it intelligently.  Think about what issues you would like to solve, what career choice would satisfy that.  Or maybe a career that would allow you to live a lifestyle you want?  Or work with certain people?  Or maybe spend your days testing and playing videogames?
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 04:13:40 AM »
How about a job writing SAT questions?
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 04:38:12 AM »
lol... good one. Then you could slyly trash the test.

Personaly, I've always wanted to be an Evil Genius.  And maybe do some Mad Scientist work on the side.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 04:40:05 AM by WillyP »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 06:13:46 AM »
The thing about this question that I think is what's bothering NumberZero is the fact that it can be interpreted in a whole variety of ways depending on the person, and the question does not really address this matter.

Not that it needs to, though. WillyP's right. Pick what interests you and write an argument in defense for it. I don't think it should be too hard to do once you get started.

But then again, I am an English major, so I have to keep this stuff in mind fairly frequently...:P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 10:55:22 AM »
And write in an editorial style.

Maybe this would help:  Tell us why you are interested in Aerospace Engineer.  Oh wait, you already did:
It pays well and it would help people get to space n stuff like that, but that's as far as I can think on that.

So go online and Google up salaries, educational requirements, names of those who have followed this path...
Take it one step at a time, first do some research.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 10:59:53 AM by WillyP »

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 11:15:01 AM »
Also, remember that unlike other SAT questions, there is no "right answer" for those prompts.  They're not being judged on answer correctness; basically they're there to give you a starting point for writing.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 02:07:32 PM »
Alright, thanks guys! I submitted it to my teacher so I'll ask my teacher what score I got.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets