Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 5247 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Doctor Who
« on: June 28, 2010, 03:36:58 PM »
I've always liked this show... The new series is fabulous. Seems like they have improved in just about every area, without going too over the top.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 05:54:32 PM »
Yes not going over the top is the key... my friends and I have been saying that for more than 10 years...   ::)

I've wanted to check out this show actually... a lot of people have told me I would like it (my uncle and my sister watch it, for starts).

BTW, that reminds me - have you ever read Ender's Game?  I read it for the first time recently (after having it sitting on my bookshelf for years :P) and my first thought was that Descent players would really like this book.  (Of course, most of the stuff the author predicts about the internet is completely wrong, but it was written before the internet).

I think there's a whole series, but I haven't found time to read any more of it.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 09:17:58 PM »
I think I've read it, but I can't remember any specifics.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 05:10:13 AM »
I read it once, for a Science-fiction class once. Eh, I liked it, undeniably a well-written book, but I always felt like there was something missing from it.

As for Doctor Who, can't say I know much about the fanchise.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 08:02:40 AM »
I love Doctor Who! The last Doctor was the best, but this new Doctor is doing a great job filling his shoes! So far, the family and I have loved it!
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Fennecfox

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 09:13:29 AM »
I've never watched Dr. Who, heard of it, I be sure to check it out =D

Also, I read the entire series of Ender's game! Awesome books.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 07:37:50 PM »
Over the years, from time to time I've been able to get some Dr. Who episodes now and then (starting from back in the days of the actor with the curly hair and long scarf) ... always just now and then.  To be honest, I've always enjoyed them because they really take the time to explore science fiction possibilities without sticking to the "formula" methods so common with American shows ... plus I've always kind of enjoyed British humor (odd, a guy from Wyoming and Idaho who "gets" British humor).

I've just never been able to get to watch it consistently, and I mean "more consistently" as in  "more often than 3 random episodes in a 6 month to one year time" ...

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 08:09:35 PM »
I've always kind of enjoyed British humor (odd, a guy from Wyoming and Idaho who "gets" British humor).

Are you a Monty Python fan?  ;)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 08:46:38 PM »
Well... Let's just say I'm a "Reformed Monty Python Fan" as that would be easier to explain.  ;)  I used to really enjoy a lot of that, but as I got older, the raw/off-color stuff was no longer enjoyable.

Still... One of my favorites is the Knights who say "Nee!" (and the Black Knight, of course).

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 05:44:52 AM »
lol... When I first started playing D3, I was on dialup with a huge ping. I made audio taunts from Monty Python clips, swapping out 'nee' with 'ping'.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 07:25:19 AM »
The Dateiliste version of D3 has some Monty Python taunts...
One of them is Eric Idle saying "And now for something completely different".
It's funny because I watched the whole of my Klixovann's Flying Circus collection and it seems Eric Idle is the only Python who didn't say that line in the course of the show.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 07:50:11 AM »
Over the years, from time to time I've been able to get some Dr. Who episodes now and then (starting from back in the days of the actor with the curly hair and long scarf)...

I remember watching those old episodes with Tom Baker (the most popular old Doctor with the scarf) with my Dad.  Competely off-the-wall stuff, but enjoyable.

I recently happened to catch a couple of the new ones (they're on Netflix streaming!), and I have to say they were pretty good.  They definitely kept the core elements of the old show in place.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 09:11:22 AM »
I will have to watch some of this. Never have had the opportunity to watch any Doctor Who of any kind, so my curiosity is piqued.

And Techpro, I love British humor and I hail from Alabama - which is pretty much the complete antithesis of Britain. Ironically, I have a very natural English accent I can slip into and out of seamlessly, despite my origins in the Deep South.  ;)
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 05:50:00 PM »
Relevent comics to the rescue !!

Start with this AppleGeeks Lite comic, and then follow up with the next one (today's).

These come from the AppleGeeks website.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 01:10:48 PM »
Here's s a little something I found.

"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets