Author Topic: Possible Desperation in the movie market?  (Read 7643 times)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Possible Desperation in the movie market?
« on: June 16, 2010, 02:13:26 PM »
I just found this. No clue if it's still on or anything like that as no new word about it seems to have come up, but I must say I am less than impressed. Couldn't there be better things for these movie markets to be doing? :(
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Re: Possible Desperation in the movie market?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 02:20:04 PM »
It is all fake. At least that's what my gut tells me. They used some clips from other movies.

I also heard of a Pac-Man movie. Didn't they have a cartoon show?
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Sapphirus

• Gold
  • The Aura is with me!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 03:36:52 PM »
Yeah, Pac-man does have a cartoon show, and the plot has nothing to do with the game itself.
Please respect my social media privacy (facebook, steam, twitter)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 10:52:14 AM »
It's kind of sad, though, that Hollywood turns to arcade games from the '80s that have no preexisting plot already to make movies out of.  :(
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Sapphirus

• Gold
  • The Aura is with me!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 11:04:41 AM »
It could be worse if they decided to make a movie based on Pitfall (even though, it's an Atari 2600 game)
Please respect my social media privacy (facebook, steam, twitter)

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 11:09:15 AM »
Maybe.........DESCENT?!?!? :D
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 11:30:49 AM »
I'd be all for a Descent movie.  ;D
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 02:11:46 PM »
Didn't we have the whole "D3 as a movie" discussion over on PD.com and decide that a D3 movie wouldn't be nearly as good as the games?

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 04:42:07 PM »
* NUMBERZero points Matt to the books.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 07:22:22 PM »
* NUMBERZero points Matt to the books.
Have you seen some of the movies they make out of books?

Plus I've never read the books.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 08:13:04 PM »
Ohhhh IDK. There's Harry Potter series, The Aviator, Stuart Little, The Sum of All Fears and a butt load of other Tom Clancy books, Air America (great movie), Hunt for Red October (best movie in the world), War of the Worlds (the old movie, not the stupid one in 2005). Those are just off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure you could google more.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 06:48:54 AM »
I beg to differ about Harry Potter. Last good movie they produced from that series was the second one, and that one was flawed too.

Also, movies based on books aren't always word for word. The Stuart Little movie didn't actually follow the book too much. I haven't read said book, but I have read the summary on the back, and just from that, I could tell it was significantly different from the movie.

Can't vouch for the others, as I've either haven't seen them, or haven't read the book (or both). However, I do believe Hunt for the Red October is an exception.

As for a Descent movie, I think it's more than possible, and the books, while I haven't read them either, are still a step in the right direction. I, personally, would do it a little differently than how I've heard the books do it, but that's just personal opinion. Point is, a Descent movie is well within the realm of reality, if done well.

In fact, lots of the games on today market could have the potential of having movies based off of them.

But...c'mon...why Asteroids, or any game like it? What makes it so much more interesting than some of these other games that four movie making companies fought over the rights before Universal finally seemed to win them?  ???
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 07:18:47 AM »
I'm not saying Descent couldn't be a good movie, and I'd love to see it, but the likelihood of making one at all is slim, and the likelihood of a good one is slim-to-none.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 07:24:58 AM »
This is true.  :(
Check out my deviantART

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 08:16:37 PM »
OH MY GOD THEY WERN'T SHITTING US.
http://movies.ign.com/articles/110/1105482p1.html

There goes the neighborhood.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets