Author Topic: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED  (Read 199850 times)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED
« Reply #330 on: May 24, 2011, 05:31:45 AM »
I hope they actually are going to use the soundtrack Pumo and I gave them for Vignettes...

Seeing as I signed that agreement and everything...

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #331 on: May 25, 2011, 02:41:18 AM »
I hope so too, but they haven't really said anything.

Offline Jayman

• Silver
« Reply #332 on: May 29, 2011, 06:37:13 AM »
As long as i can figer out how to get the midi working (I diden't get it from gog) i'll probaly be playing more of this http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Descent

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #333 on: July 07, 2011, 12:58:59 PM »
Hey! Got an email from Scott Hawkins saying the agreement letter has been executed. So Vignettes is a sure thing it seems with the Descent release. Not sure if it'll be available up front with the main mission or be an unlockable. But good news!
however, They are having some transparency issues with the walls at the start of level 1 in terms of rendering, so if Zico or Diedel have answers to this to help speed their fixes, that'd be obliged.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #334 on: July 07, 2011, 08:12:18 PM »
If the *full* agreement letter has been be executed, that means the music too, so I can quit worrying now :P.

Great news.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #335 on: July 08, 2011, 05:34:35 AM »
Good news indeed, always nice to hear that the project is still going. Taking it's dear sweet time...but still going. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #336 on: July 08, 2011, 08:46:05 AM »
Excellent news!! :D

Regarding the transparency issues, I'm guessing it's a texture thing.  If they haven't already figured it out, you might start looking at the textures they say are transparent, to see if there's anything different/unique about them.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #337 on: July 08, 2011, 08:53:26 AM »
Did they explain what the issue was? I remember when trying to play Vignettes in Dosbox, I noticed that, with the central pillar in the starting room, that the windows in the distance were overlapping the windows right in front of me. I'm wondering if it's the same issue here.

EDIt: a good look at that issue:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 08:55:56 AM by InsanityBringer »

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #338 on: July 08, 2011, 11:02:30 AM »
Could be a visibility culling problem, paired with not using Z-buffering (which the original engine doesn't do).

If I am right that would be a clear indicator of a very poorly and unprofessionally done port. It would also mean that there is no easy fix for this.

Foil,

I doubt it has to do with transparency info in a certain texture. That would lead to the texture always being rendered as transparent. The original (palettized) Descent texture btw do not have an alpha channel, but a color index of 255 for a pixel means "this pixel is transparent".

I think the problem is rather rooted in a bug or flaw in the port than in a texture or in the level.

Unless one can debug the issue and look into all data and processes involved this can however only be guess work.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 02:28:37 PM by karx-elf-erx »

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #339 on: July 08, 2011, 12:02:42 PM »
Has anyone tried this on the homebrew port of Descent for the wii?
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #340 on: July 08, 2011, 07:45:28 PM »
Karx notice how Insanity pointed that out above, and how that's obviously not on the Wii port, unless he's been holding out on us.

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #341 on: July 08, 2011, 07:53:29 PM »
Yeah, that's why Karx said the Wii port is poorly made, as the issue Insanity showed is from the Dos version, and so if the Wii version also has it (as Wolfie said they told to ther) then it's not a so good port as they are not fixing stuff like that.
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #342 on: July 08, 2011, 10:17:38 PM »
Nah, I'm not a secret Descent for WiiWare beta tester, I haven't even touched my wii in ages. I'm assuming, however, providing that they did a straight-up port to the Wii, that may be the issue they're running into. Depending on how they're doing the port, whether they're moving to a different renderer or not, that may or may not actually be the issue they mentioned.

So, this may or may not be the issue, but considering that it's pretty much a "transparency issue" at the start of level 1, it kinda fits their description.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:19:09 PM by InsanityBringer »

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #343 on: July 09, 2011, 12:40:15 AM »
I know what InsanityBringer said and what he did not say.

Since faces are transparent/invisible/rendered after faces behind them in the Wii version, what I said still holds right.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #344 on: July 09, 2011, 05:53:08 AM »
Well, even if you're right, it's something I can live with. At least the game probably will still be playable, that's all I really care about at this point.

If it isn't, then I'll have a bone to pick with Interplay.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets