Author Topic: RPS article about potential new Descent remake in UE3  (Read 3463 times)

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
RPS article about potential new Descent remake in UE3
« on: November 01, 2012, 06:31:04 AM »
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/01/no-downside-modder-remaking-descent-in-ue3/

Maybe this one will actually get somewhere. The response is apparently good at the moment but lets hope that doesn't vanish.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: RPS article about potential new Descent remake in UE3
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 06:47:10 AM »
You know, what mystifies me about all of this is that there is CLEARLY still interest in Descent, or at least it's gaming mechanics, from players, and yet none of the big-league gaming companies seem interested enough to dedicate themselves fully to is, save some unique indie-game developers (like the Miner Wars folk).

I suppose one could argue it's because they seem to be more interested in building groundpounders, but that's just it. Groundpounders are so common these days that you'd think they'd be looking to do something that refreshingly breaks away from that.

Anyway, as for the mod, it does sound promising, but having been down this road and ending up nowhere before, I am understandably hesitant to get my hopes up too much. The fact that the project seems to be mostly headed up by one guy only adds to this. I fear he may be biting off more than he can chew, and won't be able to rally the support he'll need later to help him get through it. Been down that road myself before, I know how it goes.  :-\
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 08:16:38 AM »
I think you're not the only one who shares that view but most of us seem to be suddenly too nice to say it to him -- which is unlike the DBB I know.
I'm hopeful but it's a realist hopeful.  I've offered my services should he get far enough to require them.
On the other paw with all the unexpected media coverage he's getting (this isn't the only article AFAIK) maybe he won't have such a hard time putting together a professional-ish team as some of us would.

All you need to do to see how much interest is still in Descent is to start a game in D2 before class and wait for someone to recognize Descent from its sound effects.  That was last Tuesday, and it wasn't the first time either.

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
  • Just who the hell do you think I am?
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 11:53:16 AM »
Whenever I try that, nobody recognizes it and they just tell me to turn off the sound. :(

On the other hand, a lot of people see me playing and making maps before class, since I sit in the front.
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 06:46:01 AM »
Back in the old days of PD.com, I used to download the old D1 and D2 demos off the site and onto the school computers at the library to play during my lunch break. No sound, because the set-up was the raw DOS format and thus didn't function optimally, and it was a library, but every now and then I'd get people passing by who'd notice and either take interest because they hadn't seen a game quite like it before, or someone who remembered coming across Descent before sometime in the distant past.

Eventually I had to stop, though, because the librarian didn't approve of my playing the game (she called it a "hallway game" like it was a terrible thing...I think she was confusing it with Doom), and later the school, probably wisely, upgraded their care and maintenance protocols for said computers so that you couldn't just download things onto them so willy-nilly. I believe Techpro voiced disapproval as well when he found out I was doing this too.

But it was fun while it lasted. :D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 07:11:43 AM »
Buy laptop > profit??

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 08:06:35 AM »
Have laptop. It rarely goes to school though, because I don't need it there, and it's a lot of trouble to bring a laptop someplace I don't need it at.

Or were you talking to someone else?
Check out my deviantART

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 08:14:26 PM »
Official site

http://descent.silverball-magic.com/

He is asking for help

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 08:19:34 PM by ►PyroJockey◄ »
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 07:12:28 AM »
Have laptop. It rarely goes to school though, because I don't need it there, and it's a lot of trouble to bring a laptop someplace I don't need it at.

Or were you talking to someone else?
I bring my laptop to school every day. I don't explicitly need it, but it makes life a lot easier.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 09:45:19 AM »
@ Pyrojockey: that vid's awesome, and he certainly seems to be off to a good start, so I really hope this all pans out.

@ IHateHackers: Not me. No point for me to bring my laptop if I have no need to use it there. And come to think of it, most of the classes I take disallow laptops anyway (the class itself has little need for them, and it removes the chance of it becoming a distraction) so I couldn't really bring it and use it even if I wanted to.
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets