Author Topic: Miner Wars Update  (Read 3337 times)

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
Miner Wars Update
« on: August 17, 2012, 04:59:39 AM »
Finally a release of Miner Wars worth spending some "quality time" with. The latest test build is now in "Alpha", no longer "Pre-Alpha". It has some single player missions and multiplayer with co-op and death match modes.

They have also improved the joystick support with more settings and support for more than 2 axis. This still has a way to go to be optimal. Currently It will only support a single joystick and the joystick must be the primary game controller. Unfortunately the game always recognizes my Nostromo as primary instead of my Sidewinder.

I haven't tried the multiplayer yet, not sure how well that works.
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: Miner Wars Update
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 10:31:55 AM »
I've been meaning to try out Miner Wars for a while now that I've got a fast enough computer to run it. Sounds like this could be my chance. :D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Greyryder

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 05:27:12 PM »
They have also improved the joystick support with more settings and support for more than 2 axis. This still has a way to go to be optimal. Currently It will only support a single joystick and the joystick must be the primary game controller. Unfortunately the game always recognizes my Nostromo as primary instead of my Sidewinder.

Windows 7? If so (and possibly in Vista) go into the start menu search bar, and type in "Set up USB game controllers" Click on "advanced" and it will let you select what controller games see as the primary.

If you have a god mode shortcut set up, that game controllers option is also available in the Devices and Printers section of that. But, I can't find in the Devices and Printers folder in the control panel. I'm still not sure where everything is, in 7.

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 07:30:59 PM »
Windows 7? If so (and possibly in Vista) go into the start menu search bar, and type in "Set up USB game controllers" Click on "advanced" and it will let you select what controller games see as the primary.

If you have a god mode shortcut set up, that game controllers option is also available in the Devices and Printers section of that. But, I can't find in the Devices and Printers folder in the control panel. I'm still not sure where everything is, in 7.

I've already set the Sidewinder as the preferred device to use with older programs, no effect. I had to remove the Nostromo before it would work in MW.

Offline Greyryder

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 04:37:38 PM »
Dang. That is messed up!

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 12:16:25 PM »
Which Nostromo (N52 or N52te)?  If MW has issues with the N52te + joystick, that puts me out as well.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 02:19:36 PM »
I've already set the Sidewinder as the preferred device to use with older programs, no effect. I had to remove the Nostromo before it would work in MW.

I usually unplug my controllers when I'm not using them, is there really a big deal?  Like something you have to set up from scratch whenever you plug it in?

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 11:45:20 AM »
Which Nostromo (N52 or N52te)?  If MW has issues with the N52te + joystick, that puts me out as well.

The box is in storage somewhere but I believe mine would be the N52te sold under the Razor brand. The model number on the bottom is RZ07-0049

I usually unplug my controllers when I'm not using them, is there really a big deal?  Like something you have to set up from scratch whenever you plug it in?

Unplugging the device is not sufficient, it is still listed under game controllers. I have to uninstall the drivers as well, so yeah, it is kind of a big deal and I do have to set up pretty much from scratch.

The Nostromo is a gaming key pad with no joystick, only a set of keys, buttons a scroll wheel and a D pad that are all programmable. I prefer to use it in conjunction with a joystick rather than my standard keyboard. Unfortunately Miner Wars does not currently allow this.  :(

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets