Author Topic: Doom Victory Score  (Read 5923 times)

Offline Sidhe Priest

• Gold
  • Blackstar jockey.
    • Pyromania
Doom Victory Score
« on: September 05, 2012, 04:25:53 PM »
...somehow mixed itself.

You really have to get the FLAC file to appreciate the mix, the MP3 file is too flat & dull.

Anyway, this is another run for the new drumkit, now in 96 KHz native. There won't be a Soundfont version until after the full-resolution NI Battery and plain wave samples are released.

The bass kick & snare were synthesised in Reason 5, retouched, and played from NI Battery. And speaking of German technology, the mix and downsample were made in Samplitude.

Does anyone have any 96/24 samples of hi-hats, cymbals, cowbells, etc.? Reason synths are limited to physical simulation of drums only.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: Doom Victory Score
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 08:44:38 PM »
I bet the Doom 2 level 18 score would sound great like this.  And I'd like a higher quality version of that for a Shootmania multiplayer map I'm working on (mostly done).

Offline Sidhe Priest

• Gold
  • Blackstar jockey.
    • Pyromania
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 09:00:12 PM »
Actually the current "approved" d_romero.mus version is an old SB Live or SB Audigy-2 SF render with some processing on top.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 06:15:44 AM »
But do I really care what's "approved" (whatever the bleep you mean by that :P) if another version would sound better?
Right now I'm using a version I recorded on another high-quality soundfont called Arachno, and it sounds pretty darn good, but I think this would sound better.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 07:29:38 AM »
This sounds great! I'm not sure what the original sounds like, but this sounds very rich and deep. I like it!

Offline Sidhe Priest

• Gold
  • Blackstar jockey.
    • Pyromania
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »
"Approved" means "QC passed", that is, it's good enough for a CD.

Offline Sidhe Priest

• Gold
  • Blackstar jockey.
    • Pyromania
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 01:26:47 PM »
D_romero.flac. Do you need the OSF version?

Here's what the original Doom Victory Score sounds like: d_victor.mid

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 01:53:13 PM »
Thanks.  Incidentally I have a CD of some Doom and Doom 2 recordings (including the map 18/27 song) by Mr Prince himself (I got the files for the CD off his website, I think) and they were clearly SC-55 recordings.  Can there only be one approved version?
I don't need an osf -- Shootmania and its ilk take play oggs.  If I ever do need a high-quality osf I'll make it myself -- if anyone knows how to it's me (and Pumo, since he's the one who told me how to do it years ago :D).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 02:02:33 PM by Kaiaatsel »

Offline Sidhe Priest

• Gold
  • Blackstar jockey.
    • Pyromania
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 03:11:26 PM »
"Approved" by me for a CD... Not by Bobby Prince who never bothered to make any decent mixes...

By the way, d_romero.mus is a rehash of Pantera's "This Love" from "Vulgar Display of Power". Without percussion and with a pizzicato string part at the end. Listen to the Pantera song and d_romero.mus side-by-side, it's sorta obvious with this mix.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 07:15:49 PM »
D_romero.flac. Do you need the OSF version?

Here's what the original Doom Victory Score sounds like: d_victor.mid
You're assuming I have a half-decent midi player aside from WMP. :P

Offline Sidhe Priest

• Gold
  • Blackstar jockey.
    • Pyromania
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 07:36:31 PM »
Well whatever there is ought to play MIDI? And anyway since you insist...

Van Basco MIDI Player.

Offline Sidhe Priest

• Gold
  • Blackstar jockey.
    • Pyromania
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 07:43:51 PM »
Also as the story goes about Doom/Doom II music...

Bobby Prince is a lawyer, not a composer. But he was hired to do the sounds & music for Doom/Doom II (and some other games). Anyway, many sounds in Doom are really processed/transposed Sound Canvas SFX or GM/GS patches (like the gunshot and rocket launcher sounds). There were lots of metal albums around the id office way back at the time and John Romero gave some to listen to Bobby Prince.

The result is that many are rehashed metal pieces with slightly altered notes. Just off the bat: d_adrian.mus="Angry Chair" by Alice in Chains; d_dead.mus="After All", Black Sabbath; d_e3m2.mus is a modded Slayer song; d_e1m1.mus is based on a passage from a Metallica song from pre-Megadeth times. There's also an assortment of unreleased MIDI scores for Doom/Doom II, and in that package there was Pantera's "Walk", etc. His argument was that the musicians would never be able to sue over MIDI pieces as the notes differed, e. g. it was "similar but not the same". Not that anyone bothered anyway, if anything it's a tribute of sorts.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 07:48:11 PM »
Well whatever there is ought to play MIDI? And anyway since you insist...

Van Basco MIDI Player.
Well don't you need certain software and cert soundfonts or whatever to make it sound good?

Also, how do you play FLAC files?

I know my way around computers no problem, but audio is still a mystery to me, sorry.

Offline Sidhe Priest

• Gold
  • Blackstar jockey.
    • Pyromania
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 07:56:25 PM »
Mmm yes, you could try the BASSMIDI driver and some Soundfont banks...

XMPlay Planetdescent Edition. It comes with a BASSMIDI plugin that can play MIDI files with Soundfont banks. Just make sure you set it to the highest resolution of the soundcard, if the soundcard has no ASIO drivers, try Kernel Streaming output (that's just the "device name" output rather than a Directsound or Wave device.

As an example, here it's set to use the Roland UA-1G KS output:

- device list, and

actual sampling rate setup. UA-1G only supports 96 KHz, stuff like Creative Audigy cards and Realtek integrated audio (shudder) might go up to 192 KHz.

Oh, and yes, XMPlay can load a lot of formats, FLAC included.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 08:07:36 PM by Sidhe Priest »

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 08:09:28 PM »
Yep, XMPlay is now what I use -- pretty exclusively -- to listen to midi, ever since it was posted here the first time.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets