Author Topic: Need a tool for extracting MIDI  (Read 3377 times)

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Need a tool for extracting MIDI
« on: July 17, 2012, 12:49:03 PM »
Hey, I'm wanting to extract the MIDI files from the Descent mission set (not the original), but I don't have a tool for that nor do I know where to find one. I'm pretty sure that there is a tool somewhere. Can anyone help?
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: Need a tool for extracting MIDI
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 02:09:08 PM »
DTX/DTX2 works, or, if it's a D2 mission you can use the mission manager in DLE-XP.
If it's Orion Nebula Project it might be easier to ask someone to send them to you though... they made it ridiculously complicated.

I can guess why you're doing it... which mission are you extracting from?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 02:27:16 PM by Kaiaatsel »

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 09:35:21 PM »
The DTX's don't work.
"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an X82 (32-bit) or X64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."
I've got Windows 7 64-bit.

I have no idea what Orion Nebula is. I'm trying to get just a couple midi songs from the Vignettes and possibly others as well.
I WOULD download the MP3 from youtube because of DFW's amazing flythrough, but YouTube is having a Google block epidemic. >:(
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 03:26:06 AM »
Hang on a second...

http://www.mediafire.com/?ft3yo058ezu4g38

All the midis from Vignettes in a zip.  Enjoy.
If you need anything else from a D1 mission I can help -- it only takes a few minutes to extract them all -- and if you're extracting midis from a D2 mission, again, you don't actually need any more specialized tools than the editor because the D2 missions contain regular MID files in addition to the HMP and HMQ.

And BTW -- remember that the game02 and game03 midis from vignettes don't play correctly in game.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 03:47:03 AM by Kaiaatsel »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 07:25:40 AM »
A little off-topic now, but Orion Nebula Project...isn't that a D1 mission set? I can't remember...
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 10:45:49 AM »
Oh man, thank you so much Kaia!

The weird thing about my Vignettes is that the music fails to continue with the normal tracks after level 6. You're right about Game02 and 03 as well.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 01:32:50 PM »
Orion Nebula Project was the definitive mission set for D1... or that's what everyone says.  Personally I didn't like it much -- the level geometry looks like a bad attempt to create something real-looking on an engine not made for it.  The music was pretty crappy too XD.  But they used a ridiculously complex system to implement it including a custom sng that they wouldn't have needed had they done it normally.

Vignettes and Outer Reaches (the new one by a first time levelbuilder XD) are sooo much better, both with levels and choice/composition of music.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 05:26:42 PM by Kaiaatsel »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 08:52:19 AM »
Funny that you say that, because, assuming that the Orion Nebula Project IS the level set I'm thinking of (and at this point I pretty sure that it is), I loved the mission set. I thought their architecture was ingenious, and the game play compelling and classic, but with new original twists that were always very trademark of D1 custom levels.  8) Sadly, I rarely ever saw the same kind of ingenuity in D2 on up. :( This is part of the reason why D1 has always consistently been my favorite of the Descent franchise.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets