Author Topic: IS THIS LEGIT???  (Read 4888 times)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
IS THIS LEGIT???
« on: July 16, 2012, 04:27:10 PM »
I've NEVER seen this before! I know my hp dashboard just went through some heavy upgrades, but wtf is this? Is it legit??? Until I hear from someone, I'm not closing it or anything. I'll just leave it up. Don't wanna trigger anything.
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: IS THIS LEGIT???
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 04:54:49 PM »
Some installers come with software that is installed when you install the program or upgrade you wanted. That what this looks like, anyway. Most installers give you an option to un-check a box and not instal the unwanted extras. That's what this looks like to me, but I can't be sure. PCTools is a well known software, but this could be a clone, it could be malware... or it could be what it looks like a free evaluation copy of PCTools. I'd do some Googling before coming to a conclusion.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 04:59:54 PM »
Okay so I did some searching around... someone said they got the same thing after they downloaded shockwave... and I downloaded shockwave last night. I'm pretty sure that's what the issue is... otherwise I believe my up-to-date Norton would have caught it by now.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 05:14:37 PM »
I wouldn't assume that Norton will catch everything.

Take a look at Malware Removal Guide for Windows - Select Real Security.

My main anti-virus is Microsoft Security Essentials. I also run Spybot-S&D. Spybot finds a few things, like tracking cookies, that MSE don't bother with. And I also run HitmanPro on startup. If i suspect a problem I go through the list on the page above, Hitman and CCcleaner are two that find stuf others miss, or can't remove.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 05:47:21 PM »
My rule of thumb is this.

1. Search the name on google, yahoo, whatever you use. If the first page is about "removing the antivirus software", it's clear that whatever popped up on your screen is not legit.

2. If you do a search, and not get "how to remove", but rather people talking about it, how to install, this and that, it may be a safe bet, but, go to #3...

3. If legit, use the official website, not what pops up, as what pops up may be a clone.

I had something from a bank. It "may" have been legit, but I wasn't sure. I did contact the bank, local number from the official website. They said it was legit, but maybe what popped up was a clone.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 05:35:30 AM »
Sad to say, but Shockwave is often packaged (by Adobe) with an additional item, usually a security related program... and it's always a "trial for now" or "try me" type of package.  Check your list of installed software, find what doesn't belong or is unfamiliar (especially if it's name is similar to what you see in this dialog) and remove it.

This sort of "help a little now" or "warning if you don't buy me" is IMHO what I would call "Threatware" and is despicable, and crapware that is usually not worth even being free.  No need to put up with it.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 06:25:29 AM »
My rule of thumb is that if it claims to be a program that I know I never installed on my computer, I don't trust it. Better safe than sorry in my book.

If it keeps coming up, though, then I turn to an expert for further input (in other words, TechPro).
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 06:25:56 AM »
This is why you never go through the installation wizard too quickly, so you can spot these little tag-a-longs and uncheck them.

Offline Canceler

• Silver
  • reee!
    • visit my plebsite
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
looks a lot like fake anti-virus to me. they create a fake window showing you fake threats and implore you to purchase a subscription so you can clean all of the fake threats. it's a con.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 11:53:14 AM »
I agree with Canceller (for once :P), but adding that I wouldn't trust it, whether it's legit or not, if I didn't intentionally install it myself.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 12:04:29 PM »
Yeah, I just found this on yahoo answers about the same exact PC Tools whatchamajig. It's a scam.

http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100702014802AApogyT
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 01:27:08 PM »
dead give away that it's fake. Run Linux or mac. Not about it being safer, just the funny part when they say "your windows folder/OS has viruses." um.... windows?

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 02:23:06 PM »
Okay, so I had downloaded Shockwave, and it was packaged with it apparently. I uninstalled and it is no longer a bother.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 03:27:28 PM »
Yeah you'd think Adobe (with their outrageously priced software) would be better than that ... but no.   >:(

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets