5 (45.5%)
I prefer country music and stay far away from classical
0 (0%)
I can tolerate/enjoy both
2 (18.2%)
I can't tolerate or enjoy both
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Classical music VS country music. Do you enjoy both?  (Read 11519 times)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Classical music VS country music. Do you enjoy both?
« on: May 22, 2012, 04:50:33 PM »
I'm curious about something. Some say who like classical can also like (old) rock. Those who like country tend to like hiphop/pop.
I don't have an option to vote on that. I am mainly interested in how many like one and not the other, or is this just a myth that most who like one can't stand the other.

Please, no flame wars. We all have our own taste. I am not asking which is better; just curious to see if there is a common pattern or not.
I do understand that there is a variety of classical music and country. If possible, try to think of it in a general term. With any type, are you more in favor of one over the other?

So far, there are some, including me who do prefer one over the other. I like classical, don't like country. Someone else likes similar music that I like, and don't care for country too much.
Some other person loves country, and almost all kinds of music BUT classical.

I and a few others, like classical and old rock/techno.

Curious, what do you guys and gals have to say?

My input: Classical and (old rock) have more ranges, high and low, more instrumental. Country, hiphop, etc, more to do with singing.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 04:54:33 PM by Vanguard »

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: Classical music VS country music. Do you enjoy both?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 05:24:35 PM »
I can't vote because it depends a lot more on the song for me -- for these genres and all others.  But I'm not a fan of classical or country music the way I am of, say, IDM or game soundtracks.
I don't normally see much difference between country and classic rock in fact, they seem to bleed into each other a lot.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 06:56:37 PM »
I like classical (especially Rimsey-Korsakov's "Scheherazade") and I like (old) rock/pop from the 60s, 70s, and early 80s.  Bands like the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Alan Parsons, Moody Blues, and number of pieces from the 'British Invasion', Elton John, The Police (and Sting), Bachman Turner Overdrive, Steve Miller Band, Three Dog Night, ... ...

... and stay a very long way from Country with a few exceptions.  About the closest I get (usually) is things like Creedance Clearwater Revival which was considered "Southern Rock".

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 03:12:08 AM »
Not a big fan of classical, but I can enjoy it now and then. Country... not so much. Southern rock... oh yea!

I can tolerate either, but I can't tolerate both.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:17:07 AM by -<WillyP>- »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 03:40:28 AM »
I like classical (especially Rimsey-Korsakov's "Scheherazade")

What amazing music. I heard that at an orchestra.

Is it the singing that makes one veer closer to possibly country and not care for classical in general? Is it the large variety of instruments, highs and lows that bring music to ones ear in classical and country doesn't do it?

We all know, there's a difference between between the two.
I can't sing. I don't care for lyrics. Thus is why classical suits me best, and some showtunes, techno.
I love the instruments, the highs and low, various types of instruments.

like classical for the instruments, the highs and low, etc? like country because you can sing to it, it keeps a pretty steady beat?

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
  • Just who the hell do you think I am?
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 10:48:34 AM »
Some of my favorite songs are from both genres.

I prefer Romantic-era music to Classical though.
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 06:56:40 PM »
I think they're generalizing it all under classical Enzo, even though historically they shouldn't. :P

That in mind though, I like a fair bit of 'classical' music, like "Sabre Dance," The William Tell Overture, The Hall of the Mountain King, and more whose exact names allude me at the moment.

Can't say I've ever been a real big fan of country...but not that big a fan of rock per say either. Usually my interests musically consist of techno, electronic, orchestra, some industrial, and, recently, some dubstep (depends how heavy the 'wubbing' gets). Or songs written in the scale of A minor (had a piano teacher once who noted that I favored to learn songs in that scale, determined it was because I liked the sound of them).
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 07:47:18 PM »
is it safe to say some prefer instruments over lyrics, or lyrics over instruments?

That's partially why I like some showtunes, classical music, techno like Descent, or whatever you call that.
Lyrics? i have only two dozen albums, and.............do I have any that have lyrics?...................i don't think I do.

Offline Canceler

• Silver
  • reee!
    • visit my plebsite
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 12:19:56 PM »
i don't like country at all, but i don't really listen to classical either. i said i prefer classical to country though because i can tolerate classical but will avoid country.

and while i don't always listen to classical, when i do, it's Pergamum-esque
CLASSICAL METAL

as far as lyrics go, all except for 2 albums i possess have lyrical content. death growls! :P the only 2 instrumental albums i possess at the moment are both the work of Tosin Abasi.
EMG - Tosin Abasi - Wave of Babies
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 12:31:39 PM by Canceler »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 03:28:56 PM »
I am seeing various results. Maybe its a myth that I heard.
Everyone is different. This girl I know likes both of them.
but I know some like country and NOT classical.
maybe more that like country, doesn't like classical than the other way around?

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 03:17:54 PM »
Quote from: Vanguard
is it safe to say some prefer instruments over lyrics, or lyrics over instruments?

Uh yeah. I easily have more instrumental tracks than I do lyrical tracks, even fewer that are from relatively big-name performers and not things like TV shows, games, and other franchises that don't actually specialize in music per say. When it comes to lyrical tracks, it's gotta have an extra hook to really grab me.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 02:13:03 PM »
Also, I don't care for new country music.  Malevolent things go on in my head whenever I hear the song "She thinks my tractor's sexy!" >:(
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline Naphtha

• Silver
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 08:03:45 PM »
Well, my favorite music genre is heavy metal, especially power metal with an occasional neoclassical touch (like Stratovarius) or symphonic metal with a full orchestra and often operatic vocals (like Epica), and maybe I'm naive, but I don't expect classical music to be too much of a stretch. :P I've never really liked country all that much, but there are a few songs that aren't too bad.
First Lieutenant for the Red Dragons in the Descent Rangers. Join our ranks today!

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 05:12:28 AM »
I hear classical and rock to sort of have the same feel; various instruments, the highs and low, slow and fast. They both are more musical.
I love music. I love instruments. Thus is why country and hiphop/pop, stuff like that, doesn't do it for me, and some others I have spoken to. And to others, they prefer the other over rock and classical; I think because they can just sing to it.

I think the theory is true for a lot of people. There are just some here and there that don't mind both some classical and country.

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 09:11:58 AM »
The devil went down to Georgia, he was lookin' for a soul to steal...

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets